Mature-looking students at lecture hall

How to apply - postgraduate

To register and apply for postgraduate courses, you will need to provide:

Your personal details including your qualifications.

  • A reference or contact details for a referee (someone, such as a lecturer or tutor, who can confirm your ability to do the course).
  • A personal statement – where you explain why you want to do this course – and the skills, life experiences and achievements that make you suitable.
  • Different postgraduate courses in the UK have different entry requirements, so check the individual course websites for instructions on how to apply.

Many postgraduate courses do not have a fixed application deadline, so you can apply as soon as you decide that you want to study on a UK course. However, it is always best to apply early to make sure you have the best chance of being accepted.

Direct applications

Many UK universities handle their own postgraduate applications and you can often apply directly through their website. You can check the course information for instructions on how to apply.


UCAS Conservatoires is a separate application system for some music, dance and drama courses, at both undergraduate and postgraduate levels. You can find more information and apply online at UCAS Conservatoires.

Teacher training

UCAS also operates an application system for graduates who want to take postgraduate teacher training courses. Find out more and apply online at the UCAS Teacher Training website.

More in this section

How to apply - undergraduate

Applying for an undergraduate degree in the UK is very simple. You can apply for up to five courses at once.

Finding a university place through Clearing

Discover what Clearing is and how it can help you find a university place.

Education agents

Education agents can help you find the right university, college or school in the UK and assist you with applying for a course.

Sign up to our newsletter

Get the latest updates and advice on applications, scholarships, visas and events.