Young medical student checking IV

An investment in your future

Studying in the UK will provide you with more than outstanding education. You will be experiencing a new culture, networking with students and professionals from all over the world, and gaining skills for life. 

If you need extra help with funding your studies, there are many financial support options out there, including scholarships, grants, bursaries, fellowships, financial awards and loans.  

Course fees

Fees for UK courses vary, depending on:

  • whether you are from the European Union (EU) or European Economic Area (EEA), or another country
  • where in the UK you are studying (there are different rules for England, Scotland, Northern Ireland and Wales)
  • your study level
  • note that fees for students from outside the EU are decided at an institutional level, so you’ll need to check with the university or college you wish to attend

Scholarships and financial support

There are hundreds of scholarships, bursaries and grant schemes on offer for students who need extra support to pay for their UK course.

Depending on your nationality, you may be eligible for a loan or financial support from the UK government. Visit the UKCISA (UK Council for International Student Affairs) website for more details.

Postgraduate studentships can be found via a number of websites, including Postgraduate Studentships and Prospects.

Many institutions offer their own financial assistance, and you should check their websites for more details.

Science and research funding

  • Euraxess UK: Research placements in the UK
  • Royal Society grants: Postdoctoral science research
  • The Newton Fund and other funding initiatives provide grants and other funding opportunities for researchers from certain countries. 

Global scholarships

You can apply for any of the following scholarships, providing you meet the scholarship programme criteria.

  • Chevening Award: Postgraduate scholarships from the UK government aimed at students with potential as future leaders
  • Commonwealth Scholarships: Postgraduate scholarships for nationals of Commonwealth countries, funded by the UK government and intended to support individuals who will subsequently make a contribution to the development of their home country 

Country-specific scholarships and funding

There are many different scholarships available, and some depend on where you are from.


Funding opportunity

Open to students or researchers from

A.S. Hornby Trust Scholarship Programme

Scholarships for English language teachers to develop their English language skills

Selected countries – see website

Scotland’s Saltire Scholarships

Scholarships for postgraduate master's studies in the areas of science, technology, creative industries, healthcare and medical sciences, and renewable and clean energy.

Canada, China (including Hong Kong), India, Pakistan and USA

Young Cell Scheme

Postgraduate master's studies in the EU


International Atomic Energy Agency Scholarships

Fellowships for graduates

Selected countries – see website

Commonwealth Scholarship and Fellowship Plan

Master's and doctoral courses (for study in the UK and distance learning), plus academic, professional and medical fellowships

Commonwealth countries

Charles Wallace Pakistan Trust Scholarships

Doctoral studies, research, visiting fellows and Scottish summer school


UK-China HE Research Partnership for PhD Studies

Doctoral studies

China and UK

GREAT China scholarships

150 postgraduate scholarships in total value of £1 million (Web page available in English and Mandarin).


GREAT Turkey scholarships

17 undergraduate and postgraduate scholarships in total value of £350,000, in a range of subjects, including: law, engineering, business, biosciences, art and design, IT and more.


Marshall Scholarship

Master's and doctoral courses at any university in the UK


Marshall Sherfield Fellowships

Post-doctoral research in science and engineering at any university in the UK


Other sources of funding

There are many other sources of funding for students in certain countries. Contact your local British Council office to find out what is available.